Sunday, July 8, 2007

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers


Preface: This book was given to me by my friend Josh shortly after my return from Egypt in the summer of 2005 (I believe it was a birthday gift). Time travel, Egyptian gods, and anachronistic hijinx, what isn't to like?

Review: The first time I tried to read the book I was a bit put off by the paragraph-long first sentence. However, this time I paid no attention to the Dickens-like intro and was soon sucked into the adventures of Prof. Brendan Doyle.

As a matter of forewarning, the book was written in 1983, so the "present time" is a time jump in itself for the modern day reader. Doyle is the unknowing pawn of a dying wealthy old man at the beginning of the book. He travels back in time with the help of a super high dose of radiation and the adventures of Prof. Doyle ensue.

Not to spoil the book, but everyone's favorite fuzzy Egyptian god Anubis appears only on the cover; he never actually appears within the story. For your Anubis fix you'll need to watch The Mummy Returns or Stargate.

Powers' book is an enjoyable read and does a fairly good job of keeping the story moving along. At just under 400 pages, it's not your normal summertime or airplane flight read, however it's a story you can keep your imagination wrapped around.

If you have a hankering for historical fiction, time travel, and the cosmic battle between good and evil The Anubis Gates should fill that void in your soul.

1 comment:

Escape Pirate said...

I particularly liked the notion of "time as a river." I think the analogy they use in the novel makes about the most sense when explaining time travel.

I have a few more Tim Powers books that I haven't read yet. One is supposed to be a fantastic pirate story, another deals with a mysterious video tape, while the other has something do do with luck and chance in Las Vegas.

He writes a somewhat cerebral book that still manages to be quite entertaining. I'm glad you enjoyed Anubis as much as you did.