Sunday, June 10, 2007

Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman


As I finish books on my "Current Reading List" I intend to review them, for whatever that's worth. I'm not a literary critic by any means, but I'll give it a whirl.


Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman

Preface:

This book was given to me by my friend Brad after I recommended American Gods - also by Gaiman - to him. I haven't read a lot of Gaiman; my first exposure to him was as the writer of Sandman. Now I haven't actually read Sandman but I have read American Gods, Good Omens, Neverwhere, and 1602, a one shot series for Marvel. Needless to say, I like Gaiman's style and fantasy aimed stories.

Fragile Things is a collection of short stories and poems by Gaiman.

Review:

I am not a poetry fan, and thus I tended to read but rarely enjoyed the poetry. There is nothing wrong with poetry per se, I just prefer prose. The poetry wasn't overly artsy - difficult to follow or read - nor was it cliched; poetry fans will probably find nothing wrong with the poems contained in Fragile Things.

I enjoyed most of the stories. The collection served it's purpose of passing the time in a limitless, non-stressful, and imaginary world. The American Gods novella at the end of the collection was a nice addition. A couple of the shorts have been made into graphic novels since Gaiman originally wrote them, like Harlequin Valentine. Overall, I enjoyed the collection and would recommend it to anyone that enjoys stories filled with imagination, dark imagery, and dark humour.

Favorites: The Monarch of the Glen, Sunbird, Other People, and A Study in Emerald

2 comments:

Escape Pirate said...

Isn't it Neverwhere, not Neverworld? It seems to me that you've read enough Gaiman...

I was going to pick up Fragile Things, but decided to wait for the paperback because it's cheaper and I still have a tremendous backlog of books to read. I'm curious about the American Gods novella you mentioned. Is it a continuation or addition to the book, or is it just the same story in an earlier form? I loved American Gods and hope it's an addition to that story.

Another couple things...you should try pick up one of his audio books. He reads his own stuff and he's got a great voice to listen to. It fits with his stories.

Two to recommend to you: Coraline and Ananasi Boys. Both great.

Midnight Sprinter said...

You're right... Neverwhere, my bad. I shall edit the original post.

I looked at both of the books you mentioned recently at Prairie Lights but my pile is also too big right now. I really hate having so many books I haven't read, especially having to move them. I'm trying to cut down that pile.

The Monarch of the Glen picks up two years after the end of American Gods. It's a separate story but still uses Shadow. It's about 50 pages and well worth the price of Fragile Things