Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The Hoss Strikes Again



Egyptian Brothers Arrested BBC Article

It seems the Egyptian government is gearing up again for another election. When I was studying in Cairo in the summer of 2005 Hosni Mubarak - the Hoss - had dealt with opposing candidate Ayman Nour in a similar manner just prior to my arrival (see 2005 story).

The National Democratic Party (NDP) prefers to arrest opposition rather than acknowledge public cries for reform or participate in the democratic process. NDP did approve March 2007 constitutional reforms for Egypt - although I am skeptical of any law/doctrine/referendum the heir apparent Gamal "Hoss Jr." Mubarak would promulgate and advocate as "strengthen[ing] political parties" and yet critics are calling a solidification of the Egyptian emergency state of law. If interested, here is the Egyptian Constitution.

The leader of the new party Democratic Front, Osama al-Ghazali Harb, - a former member of NDP's Policies Committee, which is head by none other than the Hoss Jr. - resigned after the referendum was passed; he believes the constitutional reforms will only keep the NDP's firm control on the Egyptian government in place.

When I was staying in Cairo, Condolezza Rice visted in order to talk with the Hoss about the upcoming elections. Near the American University of Cairo's (AUC) campus are areas of immense human and vehicle traffic. In one of these squares, there was a 15ft sign of the Hoss with what looked like Xmas tree lights strung around the edges, creating - what I can only assume was intended - a halo effect around the Hoss' head. There were slogans in Arabic around the cutout as well, although I don't know what they said. We were told it was placed there by a supporter. On the edge of the "Greek campus grounds" of AUC - across the street from the main campus - there was a huge billboard of the Hoss that I had to look at everyday (see picture supra). The reason I tell this anecdote, is because the day that Sec. Rice arrived the gynormous cardboard angelic Hoss magically and conveniently disappeared; just in time for the NDP to talk about fair elections with Sec. Rice. It seems only fair that they had to take down the angelic Hoss in order to talk about fair elections given that I didn't see a single advert for Mr. Nour or any other candidates during my seven week stay. Let alone a giant-sized angelic advert of another candiate erected in an area of substantial daily traffic.

1 comment:

Escape Pirate said...

Sure, I don't follow (or understand) politics, but I hear about things like this in other countries and it makes me glad I live here. Do I take my freedoms and government for granted? Yes. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate them.