Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A Short Guide to Iraq: 1940's Style

A friend passed on to me a link to this pamphlet produced by the US War and Navy Departments during World War II. It's somewhat entertaining and occasionally bigoted in its views/lessons on life.

I couldn't help but hear a voice like Sam Elliot, John Wayne, or George C. Scott when I was reading it. The Arabic in the back is accurate as far as I can tell. As the pamphlet says, it's an Iraqi dialect so I don't know some of it as I was exposed to an (urban) Egyptian dialect.

Some of the foregin policy/cultural interaction guidelines would be helpful to our troops in the Middle East even today.

1 comment:

Escape Pirate said...

"What is this Iraq?" That's hilarious. I love stuff like this. Maybe I'm going to have to do some searching of the internet to find cool things like this to share on my blog.

I could see what you mean about hearing one of those old "war voices" as I read through the guide. Great stuff, man.