Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Standardizing My Future

As I start to prepare for the GRE, I am reminded of why I hate standardized tests. The Kaplan book clearly states that succeeding on the GRE is dependent upon mastering the GRE game. A clear admission that the GRE doesn't actually test your ability to earn a post-graduate degree. In three years of law school I wasn't once asked a test question of this nature: "You have a book shelf with five missing books. You want to re-shelf the books but notice instructions on the wall. It says that Torts cannot be placed next to Admin Law. Con Law cannot be in front of or behind Civil Procedure..." you get the picture.

The reading comprehension and analytical writing sections at least make sense when deciding whether or not the potential student is capable of forming an argument and analyzing dense material. The line of reasoning of logic games, antonyms, and synonyms as measuring tool for future success is lost on me. Perhaps that just means I am not fit for post-graduate studies, aye?

1 comment:

Escape Pirate said...

Don't worry so much. This one is a lot easier than the LSAT. I actually did pretty well on the GRE. I don't remember my score, but if you share yours when you finally take it, I'll look mine up to compare!