Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Wag of the Finger


While male rebellion and even some illicit behavior is often socially constructed as a part of or measurement of our "manhood," I have never considered speeding as one of the crimes included. In Australia, not only does the toilet water spin the other direction, but speeding is a matter of machismo. Violent images of car crashes failed to decrease the amount of speeding in Australia, so what is the government left to do? Ah yes, a national campaign to attack penis size of offenders.

From time to time you'll hear a car or motorcycle rev its engine and/or squeal its tires for no real reason other than to draw attention to the driver. And to be fair, you think "oooo big tough guy" or "he's over compensating", right? While the attention grabbing actions seem to be fair game, general speeding seems a bit ridiculous. I don't think as I am driving down I-80 that the people passing me have a small penis; instead I usually think "Geez! Someone's in a hurry!"

What about female speeders? Are they just off the hook from national - now international - embarrassment? Perhaps Australia should go with an equally as funny and potentially offensive campaign to curb female speeders by playing up the stereotype that women can't drive?

2 comments:

Escape Pirate said...

But everyone already knows women can't drive...

You are right, I don't typicaly think of small penis size when someone passes me speeding...I typically think of destroying said person, male or female. Speeders - what tools.

Midnight Sprinter said...

You mean... "what SMALL tools"