Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Ultimate Betrayal

When everything you know and understand has gone to pot, you always have your personal perception of your life. Your emotions, thoughts, and recollections are intrinsically unique. They are yours and only made public if you so wish to share them. No one should ever be able to take away your freedom of conscience or your ability to trust in your own feelings and perceptions. People. time, and tragic events may be able to take way your the ability to function in everyday life. Aside from the natural decline in memory and agility, we can generally trust our own instincts, emotions, and perceptions.

Not being able to trust our own body and the information it is communicating to us is a terrible event. Long-term medical diseases like Lou Gehrig's disease or Alzhemier's are horribly painful for the victim and those around them. Enemies don't even wish such fate's on each other.

Losing control isn't limited to neurological or physical ailments. Sometimes the unknown is just as debilitating. Modern medicine is supposed to have the answers. Even a terminal diagnosis brings with it a plan of action; a possible remedy to pursue is discussed and treatment is commenced.

For almost a year now by body has waged war on itself. No one is quite certain what the cause or even the ailment is. Doctor's are fairly certain it's not malignant or terminal, but that does little to stymie the fears of getting through the day when pain or a lack of control take over. It had gotten to the point that I didn't remember what it felt like to feel normal. Luckily, the current treatment seems to be working, with only minor spells of panic, pain, or discomfort.

My thoughts and sympathies go out to those that are suffering a much more severe form of sickness and disabilities than me, and to the families that have to cope with the difficulties associated with slowly or even quickly watching a person's body turn against them.

5 comments:

Escape Pirate said...

Holy cow, buddy! And here I thougt you were pretty darn healthy and fine. I truly hope you are doing good. If there's anything I can do, you just let me know.

I know that one of the main reasons I hesitate to go to the doctor for anything wrong with me is because I don't want to find out anything terrible (and I am just sure there's some hidden terrible thing inside me - or maybe that's just my paranoia, but it still seems real).

I'm ticked enough at my body for being so weak that I will (probably) have to take medicine every day for the rest of my life and alter my diet just to eat food without feeling my stomach churn and throat boil (acid reflux).

Oh, to be a robot with robot parts...

Midnight Sprinter said...

Thanks for the kind words. I should be okay, it's just a pain in my ass and hard on the mind. They think (now) that it's gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining). The medicine is helping but it may be gastritis + something else, who knows. The stomach ailment could be from the stress/anxiety of not knowing what was/is wrong.

Take Zantac or Prilosec OTC, it'll help. Trut me, I know. Your anxiety will only make it worse and then maybe you'll get gastritis and/or GERD too!

Escape Pirate said...

Oh, I'm on the Prilosec. It's my life saver. Still, it helps if I don't make things worse by eating the things I shouldn't be eating.

Steven Moeller said...

I am unhappy to learn you're ill. Get well soon.

Steven Moeller said...

Also, you two should come visit. Otherwise, I'll have to venture out and meet people.